Millions of Americans deal with problem areas such as love handles, arm fat, belly fat, and other stubborn places — even after reaching weight loss and fitness goals. Liposuction is a popular and effective cosmetic procedure that removes fat from targeted areas to help create a shapelier body and reach sought-after appearance goals. According to data from the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), liposuction has become the most popular cosmetic procedure in the world.
Why choose Innovations Medical for your liposuction?
Not all liposuctions are created equal. At Innovations Medical, we use advanced technologies that allow us to remove more fat with minimal invasion. This means less swelling and bruising, a shorter recovery time, and a more comfortable experience overall.
Innovations Medical and Dr. Bill Johnson have a long list of firsts in the area of Liposuction, including:
- The first SmartLipo (laser-assisted liposuction) in North Texas and the second in all of Texas
- The first SmartLipo MPX or 30-watt laser in Texas
- The first Vibro Lipo (also called “Tickle Lipo” and Air-Sculpt) in the United States
- The first to use Vibro Lipo for fat transfer procedures like Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)
- The first to combine SmartLipo and Vibro Lipo for smooth area liposuction and reduced loose skin
Our procedures are minimally invasive enough to be performed right in the doctor’s office while patients are awake. In addition, we only apply mild sedation for local anesthesia to maximize your comfort.
How does liposuction work?
Liposuction is a medical procedure for removing fat. In people, fat tissue is solid but relatively soft. It is composed of large cells containing stored fat held together by a spiderweb-like network of the protein collagen.
The doctor performing liposuction uses a cannula, a narrow tube with a blunt tip attached to a suction or vacuum device. This allows the doctor to:
- Use the cannula and vacuum to remove fat from thousands of tiny holes made in the fat by the cannula. Think of it as making Swiss cheese out of the fat.
- Leave the collagen web mostly intact to hold the remaining fat and overlying skin in place.
- Permanently remove the fat and the fat cells from the body.
- Use further tools like SmartLipo to tighten the skin
- Reduce the size of the fat to give the area a slimmer, trimmer appearance. This occurs as the holes in the fat collapse.
Liposuction can be done on almost any area of the body with fat. Many different tools and types of procedures are used to produce beautiful results with liposuction. Procedures are performed with either tumescent (local) anesthesia alongside mild sedation or general anesthesia with tumescent local anesthesia added once the patient is asleep.
Tumescent Liposuction Explained
Liposuction done solely under tumescent anesthesia is often referred to as tumescent liposuction and is also called “drive-through cosmetic surgery.” Originating from the Latin word for “swollen,” tumescent procedures involve pumping specially formulated fluid into the area until it becomes firm or swollen.
Tumescent liposuction offers several advantages over procedures involving general anesthesia:
- Safer than techniques that require general anesthesia
- Results are similar to or better than general anesthesia techniques
- Allows the patient to return home on the day of the procedure
- Lowers the cost of liposuction procedures by allowing them to be performed in the doctor’s office; there is no additional charge for a surgery center, hospital, or anesthesiologist
The tumescent fluid contains saline, lidocaine, sodium bicarbonate, and a form of adrenaline called epinephrine. This combination provides excellent numbing so liposuction and other procedures can be performed safely and comfortably. Specific safety benefits include:
- Decreases swelling after liposuction procedures
- Decreases bleeding and bruising after liposuction procedures because epinephrine constricts blood vessels and decreases bleeding and bruising
- Decreases the risk of infection after liposuction procedures, as lidocaine inhibits the growth of bacteria
- Provides extra fluids to the patient, reducing the dizziness and dehydration sometimes associated with liposuction
Almost all liposuction cases today add tumescent anesthesia to the treatment area because of the increased safety.
Types of Liposuction
There is a wide range of liposuction procedures, but not all are performed regularly by doctors. Common forms of liposuction are:
- Suction Assisted Liposuction (SAL): A simple cannula attached to suction. The physician supplies all of the power to remove the fat. This is commonly used in small areas like the neck or ankles.
- Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL): Uses a mechanical device to move the cannula and help the physician remove fat. The power is usually provided by electricity or compressed air. Physicians using these devices can generally remove more fat and do more “sculpting” or shaping of the area. Care must be taken to avoid grooves or rippling.
- Laser-Assisted Liposuction (LAL): This adds a laser to the cannula. The lasers destroy fat cells and, when used correctly, can tighten the skin. SmartLipo was the first laser liposuction device available in the United States and remains the best-researched and widest-used. LAL should always be combined with suction to achieve the desired results. Always ask if your laser liposuction provider is adding suction to the laser.
- Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction (USAL): Uses ultrasound energy to heat and disrupt the fat. Vaser® is the most common USAL device in the United States. Vaser® has become known for high-definition liposuction, but the actual high definition is done with the suction device, typically a PAL device.
- Vibration Assisted Liposuction (VAL): A special form of PAL that uses compressed air to move the cannula in multiple directions. This makes VAL the most efficient liposuction device for removing fat. The vibration helps avoid the grooving and rippling common with PAL devices. VAL is the most popular form of liposuction in Europe, and several studies have shown it gives some of the best results.
- Radiofrequency Assisted Liposuction (RFAL): Uses radiofrequency energy to help liposuction. Like USAL and LAL, RFAL must be added to suction or Power-Assisted Liposuction devices to achieve good results. RFAL is a good choice for skin tightening.
Vibro Lipo, called Tickle Lipo and Air Sculpt, allows providers to suction fat faster and smoother than previous technologies. Dr. Johnson was the first physician in the United States to offer this type of liposuction, making him a true leader and expert on the procedure. He has performed more than 5,000 cases using Vibro Lipo.
We also perform laser-based liposuction using SmartLipo. Dr. Johnson was the first physician in North Texas and the second in Texas to use SmartLipo. SmartLipo provides twice the benefit: it melts away the fat and tightens the skin, allowing you to obtain that perfect figure you’ve always wanted. Dr. Johnson has performed more than 6,000 SmartLipo cases. We continually update our SmartLipo devices to keep up with advances in laser liposuction.
Liposuction Before and After Photos
Exciting before-and-after results from actual Innovations Medical Patients:
Liposuction under tumescent anesthesia typically costs $2,000-4,000 per body area. Using general anesthesia traditionally adds another $2,500-6,000 for the facility and anesthesiology.
At Innovations Medical, we price our body areas as pairs — including both arms, inner thighs, or love handles. The stomach is divided into the upper and lower stomach, or abdomen. When you compare pricing, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some centers may not suction an area after using the laser, leaving most of the fat. Some may price just one arm or love handles, and some centers mark small areas.
Since this involves your body and is a major financial investment, we recommend in-person consultation for individualized planning and pricing whenever possible.
Learn More About Our Liposuction Procedures
No matter your age or gender, we’ll make sure to find a solution and provide you with the best version of yourself possible. No matter the procedure you choose, you’ll leave our Dallas or Fort Worth facilities with a shapelier body and tighter skin.
This includes your stomach, love handles or flanks, inner and outer thighs, upper back, bra area of the back, upper arms, neck and jowls, buttocks, knees, and male breast reduction. We now also offer laser-assisted female breast reduction with Smart Breast Reduction and Lift Using SmartLipo.
Read our pages about liposuction:
- The 10 Most Common Liposuction Myths
- Most Popular Body Locations for Liposuction
- Is Liposuction A Long-Term Option?
- Liposuction vs CoolSculpting
Contact Innovations Medical for More Information on Liposuction
If you’re looking to reach your appearance goals for a slimmer and shapelier you, Innovations Medical can help. Our skilled professionals help you decide which treatment is best for you – keeping you informed and confident in the next steps. We’ve been helping our patients look and feel their best since 2005, and even our most advanced procedures are often minimally invasive.