If you’re looking for a rounder and shapelier butt, a Brazilian butt lift (BBL) can help you achieve this goal. An added benefit of a BBL is that it can use fat from unwanted areas such as your belly or love handles. BBLs have helped countless people improve their appearance and confidence and have continued to grow in popularity.
This guide will help you understand how long a BBL will last and how results might change over time. We’ll also share practical tips for prolonging the results of your procedure for as long as possible.
What is a BBL?
Also known as fat transfer to the buttocks, a BBL is a procedure where fat is harvested from one area, processed, and then carefully reinjected and contoured into the buttocks. The goal is to achieve a fuller and rounder rear end. These procedures are performed on an outpatient basis and typically involve minimal downtime.
BBLs are best for candidates who have achieved weight loss goals and want a shapelier butt.
When do fat cells stabilize after BBL?
After a BBL, it can take a few weeks for the procedure to stabilize and for you to see full results. One of the most important factors of any fat transfer procedure, including BBL, is the survival rate of the transferred fat.
During most procedures, the survival rate of the transferred fat is up to 80%. With newer techniques, such as including platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection, survival rates can increase to 90%.
Is a BBL permanent?
One of the most common questions from people considering this procedure is how long they can expect the results to last. Fat transfers can last much longer than other processes and many experts believe that the fat that survives after the first three to six months is permanent.
How long do BBL results last?
With a successful outcome and proper maintenance, a BBL has the potential to last for a decade or even longer. Specific results will vary depending on a wide range of factors, including lifestyle, type of procedure, and enhanced techniques used.
It is important to speak to your cosmetic surgeon regarding your goals for the procedure and your expectations for results.
How can BBL results change over time?
It is normal for some fat to be initially reabsorbed by the body, but most procedures should plan for this. After the fat in the gluteal area stabilizes, usually after a few months, results should be consistent.
Any changes that the body undergoes naturally or due to lifestyle changes can have an impact on the results of a BBL, including:
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Age-related changes to skin elasticity
- Activity level
- Nutrients and overall quality of diet
- Muscle mass
The results of a BBL can be heavily impacted by the choices patients make after the procedure. Following post-operative instructions closely and practicing a healthy lifestyle can help ensure the longest-lasting results.
Tips for Lasting Results From Your BBL
What can you do to ensure a BBL procedure yields a fuller and rounder posterior for years to come? Cosmetic surgeons, including Dr. Bill Johnson and the Innovations Medical team, recommend the following:
- Choose the right procedure for you: Advanced techniques, such as PRP, performed by an experienced team can help improve fat survival rates. Contouring and advanced liposuction techniques can improve the overall shape and proportions of your lower body and butt.
- Follow post-operative instructions: To get the longest-lasting results, your body must heal properly after the procedure. Getting plenty of rest, staying hydrated, keeping pressure off your butt, wearing compression garments, and completing any rehab will ensure good healing and promote the long-term survival of transferred fat.
- Eat a healthy diet: Not only does eating right help keep the weight off, but eating the right foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and nuts, over the long term can help with collagen production and maintaining moisturized and elastic skin, including in your buttocks.
- Stay hydrated: The liposuction portion of the BBL procedure can be dehydrating for most people. Drink water after the procedure to rehydrate and keep your cells healthy.
- Stay active and get plenty of exercise: Once again, exercise helps you maintain a healthy weight and good proportions and can also help build strong muscles in your buttocks. This is critical to maximizing the results of your BBL.
- Reduce pressure on your butt and practice good posture: Even after the initial recovery period, promoting good blood flow to the butt is essential to ensure the highest level of long-term fat survival. This means sleeping on your side or stomach if possible and avoiding sitting for long periods. Good posture while sitting, standing, or performing any activity can also help maintain the shape and contours of your BBL.
Innovations Medical and Dr. Bill Johnson are among the most experienced and expert BBL practitioners in North Texas and the broader United States. He has performed hundreds of BBL procedures for happy patients for over a decade. Our team will be delighted to consult with you, answer any questions about undergoing BBL, and help you take the steps necessary to achieve the long-term results you want.
Contact Innovations Medical and Learn About the Benefits of Our BBL Procedures
If you’re looking for a rounder and shapelier butt, Innovations Medical is here for you. Our skilled professionals help you decide which treatment is best for you – keeping you informed and confident in the next steps. We’ve been helping our patients look and feel their best since 2005, and even our most advanced procedures are often minimally invasive.