From breasts that sag after breastfeeding to uneven breasts, a woman’s chest is often an area of insecurity. It’s for these reasons and more that you may wonder if breast enhancements could help bring back your confidence. But, breast augmentation isn’t right for everyone. There are several different options, and before you make a decision, you should weigh the pros and cons.
What are breast implants?
Breast implants usually come in a silicone shell and are either filled with silicone gel or a saline solution. They can be round or tear-dropped shaped and are designed to give a perky appearance and eliminate the appearance of sagging. The ideal candidate for breast implants include:
- Patients 18 and older (22 year minimum for silicone)
- Women not pregnant or breastfeeding
- People who are fully informed with realistic expectations
- People in a healthy and stable weight
Pros of Breast Implants
The biggest pro to implants is that they hold their shape, and even if silicone implants rupture, they will often stay in place. This means that you can eliminate the look of a sagging breast. Tear-shaped silicone implants — called gummy bear implants — often look more natural than saline implants, but if they change position, it can ruin that effect.
Cons of Breast Implants
Implants can only last 10 – 15 years and most people have them replaced between eight to 10 years. This procedure is typically $5,000 – 10,000. Sometimes, the implant can ripple — which can be seen through the skin and cause insecurities. And, if a saline implant ruptures, it can cause your breast to deflate. Due to the nature of the breast implant, the tissue surrounding the foreign object can harden — which can cause tenderness and cosmetic abnormalities.
If you haven’t pulled the trigger on breast implant augmentation because you’re nervous about scarring, you should be. Although modern techniques and technology have translated to smaller scars over time, the average incision length for breast implants is still three to five centimeters and likely to be noticeable. Conversely, with the breast fat transfer, incisions are tiny and hidden in the armpit area.
It should also be noted that Innovations Medical does not offer implants as a breast enhancement option due to these cons.
What is fat transfer?
Fat transfer — also known as natural breast augmentation — uses fat from other parts of your body to enlarge or reshape the breasts. This gives your chest a more natural appearance and droop. The ideal candidate for a fat transfer are:
- Women with a large A to double D cup size who want to increase the size of their breasts
- Women who do not like how the top portion of how their clothes fit
- Women who have experienced droopiness of the breast after pregnancy, weight loss, or aging.
- Women with one breast larger than the other
- Women who have had breast implants removed for capsule formation or leakage
- Men who would like some enhancement in the pectoral area
Pros of Fat Transfer
Unlike breast implants, natural breast augmentation uses fat from your own body, so there is no chance that your body will reject it or react poorly. Plus, by using fat, it gives the breast a more natural feeling and appearance. Fat transfers are semi-permanent and don’t often need reduction or maintenance — meaning you won’t need to get the procedure re-done every ten years. And, fat transfer can be significantly less expensive with procedures starting at $3,000.
Cons of Fat Transfer
Because natural breast augmentation is semi-permanent and uses your own fat, your breast size can be impacted by weight gain or loss — increasing in size with gain and decreasing with loss. Fat transfers won’t prevent sagging like implants but instead are designed to give a fuller look. This option also won’t work for:
- Women with breast implants in place
- Women with very small breasts (less than a full A cup) — as the skin does not allow enough fat to be placed
- Women with extremely droopy breasts — if the breast overlaps the skin underneath by more than four inches, reduction and implants should be considered
- Extremely slender women that do not have adequate fat to harvest from other areas
If You’re Thinking About Breast Enhancements, Contact Innovations Medical
If you’re looking to reshape your body and boost your self-confidence, Innovations Medical is here for you. We’ll answer your questions and resolve any concerns you have about cosmetic procedures. We’ve been helping our patients look their best since 2005, and even our most advanced procedures are often minimally invasive.