Dispelling the Myths: Part 2
Thousands of liposuction procedures are performed each day around the globe, and the procedure has been around for decades, but there are still some common misconceptions that confuse many potential patients. Here's the conclusion of our two-part blog series on the myths about liposuction.
6. Removed fat will come back. A myth - but there's a catch. Fat deposits removed by liposuction are gone forever; however, if you gain weight, fat cells left behind in the area can increase in size. You can prevent this by eating a healthy diet and working out regularly.
7. Liposuction is a "quick fix." Liposuction is not a weight-loss tool, and it's not an easy way out. Candidates for liposuction will have to get to their ideal body weight through hard work and eating healthily. Liposuction is best considered after attaining your goal weight or coming close to it to help reshape and recontour pockets of stubborn fat. While liposuction has been shown to aid weight loss when combined with a good weight-loss regimen, it is not a weight-loss tool.
8. Liposuction means no recovery time. While liposuction is a less invasive alternative to surgical procedures like the tummy tuck that excise unwanted fat, there is still a recovery period associated with the procedure. Even with an advanced form of liposuction like SmartLipo, you should expect some swelling, bruising and soreness in the treatment area. These side effects usually subside within a few weeks of the procedure. You will have to ease back into your regular exercise routine with approval from Dr. Johnson.
9. Only women get liposuction. Definitely not true. Many men seek out liposuction to target body areas such as the love handles, abdomen and the chest. Find out how Dr. Johnson is using liposuction to treat men living with moobs.
10. Liposuction is best for belly fat. Not in all cases. If you're living with fat that is subcutaneous, or just below the skin and just above your stomach muscles, then, yes, liposuction would work for you. But, if the fat you want to get rid of lies under your abdominal muscles and around your organs, this fat is best reduced by diet and exercise.
Learn more about liposuction and find out if it's right for you by calling Innovations Medical at 214-643-8665.