Dispelling the Myths: Part 1
Liposuction is one of the most in-demand cosmetic procedures in the United States and around the globe. While thousands of liposuction procedures are performed each day, and the procedure has been around for decades, there are still some myths about the procedure. Here we explore in a two-part blog series the 10 most common liposuction misconceptions we hear from patients.
1. Liposuction will help me lose weight. While liposuction can help remove a few pounds of fat - two to five on average - it is not a weight-loss tool. Ideal liposuction candidates will come to us at their ideal weight in hopes of using liposuction to reduce areas of stubborn fat that won't go away with diet or exercise.
2. Liposuction will get rid of my cellulite. Liposuction is excellent at getting rid of fat, but the fibrous strands of connective tissue that cause cellulite are not removed. To reduce the appearance of cellulite, we offer other treatments, such as Thermage and skin-tightening services. Learn more about our cellulite treatment options here.
3. I'm too old for liposuction. You're never too old to get the body you want. For liposuction, what really matters is if you are in good health and are at your ideal weight. That being said, the older you are, the less elasticity your skin has, which could lead to drooping in some cases. But, Dr. Johnson uses SmartLipo, which has skin-tightening benefits to leave you with shapelier final results.
4. Liposuction is not safe. While there are risks with any cosmetic procedure, modern liposuction is entirely safe when performed by a qualified provider like Dr. Johnson.
5. Liposuction is not for the face. Not true. Liposuction is perfectly safe when used to reduce fat in the chin area. An added benefit of using SmartLipo in the chin area - or any body area - is the skin-tightening benefits we mentioned above. Talk to Dr. Johnson about the skin-tightening options we offer.
Want to learn more about liposuction, its myths and misconceptions? Read on in Part 2 or call Innovations Medical at 214-643-8665.